New Orleans, LA (Scicasts) - GenoVive has announced the launch of a personalized approach to weight loss and sustained healthy eating. This new program, created by the GenoVive scientists and chefs, tailors home-delivered meal programs and exercise plans to each unique metabolism and empowers consumers to achieve their weight loss goals. GenoVive provides a long-term lifestyle solution to healthy weight management and a better quality of life.
According to the announcement, this revolutionary program provides new hope to the 200 million Americans who are overweight and the nearly one-in-three who are clinically obese.
"Dieting has become a part of the vocabulary and a way of life for millions of Americans. Yet for all their efforts, statistics show 95 percent gain the weight back within a five-year period. This is due in part to the fact that most diets do not take into account how a person's own genetic makeup influences his or her weight," said Victor Castellon, Pharm D and CEO of GenoVive. "GenoVive understands that weight management is more than just behavioural factors and physical activity and has identified specific genes that can unlock a person's weight loss potential."
DNA Dieting: A New Era of Weight Loss
Some people are genetically predisposed to gain weight, store weight and resist weight loss. A recent survey of physicians found that 99 percent agree that a person's genes influence his or her ability to lose or manage weight. In fact, more than half (55 percent) would make recommendations about a diet plan based primarily on a patient's genetics.
Recognizing that one size does not fit all when it comes to dieting, GenoVive scientists and nutritionists developed a new program that is tailored to each individual. GenoVive uses proven technology and research developed at leading universities in the United States, the Netherlands, and the United Kingdom to formulate customized meal plans with the ideal balance of protein, fat and carbohydrates for each individual's DNA.
"We use DNA analysis to determine the correct macronutrient balance to optimize the body's calorie burning potential," said San San Ng PhD, MB (ASCP) CM Director of Scientific Affairs at GenoVive. "The analysis allows us to design personalized meals and goals for each individual."
Four Groups, Four Unique Needs
The unique configuration of genes allowed GenoVive to design four distinct meal types. These groups include:
- Optimal Balance: provides the optimal balance of the right types and amounts of fats, carbohydrates and proteins, with an emphasis on portion and calorie control
- Carbohydrate Optimized: provides the optimal balance of fats and proteins, while reducing the amount of daily calories from carbohydrates
- Fat Optimized: provides the optimal balance of proteins and carbohydrates, while reducing calories from fat
- Fat & Carbohydrate Optimized: provides the optimal balance of proteins, while reducing calories from fats and carbohydrates
A Nutritionist, Online Personal Trainer and Weight Loss Expert All Rolled into One
The GenoVive program is also designed to support individuals as they transition to healthy, active lifestyles. In addition to personalized meals, GenoVive offers exercise routines and online communities to help customers kick start -- and then stick with -- their weight loss journey.
All components of the GenoVive program are tailored to customers' specific DNA, including:
- Home-delivered meals for six days a week: complete with breakfast, lunch, dinner, snacks, beverages and vitamin supplements
- Seventh-day guidance necessary for making healthy choices and enjoying favourite foods
- Exercise programs that take into account caloric intake, fitness level and the ideal amount of exercise that an individual needs, as specified by his or her genetic profile
- Web-based support community
"GenoVive's strength is the personalization rooted in science: we tailor programs based on individual needs and provide support to our customers to achieve and maintain their healthy weight loss goals," explains Castellon.
Impact ScoreWhat's this?
Crowdsourced scoring of the overall impact of this development
How important do you think the impact of this development will be on this particular research field? Sign in and share with us your score.
- Short-term implications (0/10)
- Long-term implications (0/10)