Guildford, UK (OBBeC) - IDBS, a provider of integrated life sciences data management solutions, unveiled, earlier this week at the 6th Annual High Content Analysis Conference in San Francisco, that it has entered into a software collaboration with PerkinElmer.
Rockville MD (OBBeC)
- The J. Craig Venter Institute (JCVI), a not for profit genomic research institute, today announced the consolidation of its sequencing centre, the Joint Technology Center, onto its main campus and has made 29 job cuts as a result.
Baltimore, MD (OBBeC) - Stem cells are the body's primal cells, retaining the youthful ability to develop into more specialized types of cells over many cycles of cell division. How do they do it?
Santa Clara, CA (OBBeC)
- Sun Microsystems today announced that it has acquired Q-layer, a cloud computing company that automates the deployment and management of both public and private clouds. According to the announcement, the Q-layer organization, based in Belgium, will become part of Sun's Cloud Computing business unit which develops and integrates cloud computing technologies, architectures and services.
Princeton, New Jersey (OBBeC) - A team of researchers at Princeton University and The Cancer Institute of New Jersey has identified a long-sought gene that is fatefully switched on in 30 to 40 percent of all breast cancer patients, spreading the disease, resisting traditional chemotherapies and eventually leading to death.
Alameda, CA and Abbott Park , IL (OBBeC)
- Celera and Abbott have announced a revision of the strategic alliance agreement between the two companies.
Researchers from Purdue University and The Catholic University of America have discovered the atomic structure of a powerful "molecular motor" that packages DNA into the head segment of some viruses during their assembly, a step which is essential in their multiplication and ability to infect new host organisms.
Carlsbad, CA and Abbott Park, Illinois (OBBeC)
- Isis Pharmaceuticals and Abbott have announced that Abbott has exercised its option to purchase the remaining equity ownership in Ibis Biosciences, an Isis subsidiary, for a closing purchase price of $175 million. In addition to the closing purchase price,Isis will receive earn out payments from Abbott tied to post-closing sales of Ibis systems, including instruments and assay kits.
Richmond, VA (OBBeC)
- Researchers from Virginia Commonwealth University have identified a new anti-tumour gene called SARI that can interact with and suppress a key protein that is overexpressed in 90 percent of human cancers. The discovery could one day lead to an effective gene therapy for cancer.
Waltham, MA (OBBeC)
- Phase Forward, a provider of data management solutions for clinical trials and drug safety, has announced that it has been awarded a contract by the United States Department of Defence (DoD) to support the Food and Drug Administration's (FDA) plans to access DoD healthcare data for rapid assessment of drug safety issues. The program will be managed by the Pharmacovigilance Center of the Office of the Surgeon General of the Army, which oversees medical benefits programs for Army personnel.